Recipe: Broad Bean Risotto
- 2 cups risotto rice (such as arborio or carnaroli)
- 4 cups brown chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 1/4 cups shelled broad (fava) beans
- 1 1/4 cups peas (or petits pois), thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra shavings to serve
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter, cut into cubes
- handful fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To blanch the rice, wash the rice in cold water and strain off. Put into a pan with 2 cups of chicken stock, 2 cups water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the liquid to a simmer and blanch the rice for 7 minutes. Drain well and spread out on a lightly oiled tray to cool.
- To finish the risotto, place the blanched rice in a shallow pan and pour in just enough chicken stock to cover. Bring to the boil quickly and cook until nearly all of the stock has evaporated. Taste the risotto to see if it is al dente, adding a little more stock if it needs a bit more cooking. Add the broad beans, peas, Parmesan and butter. Cook for a further few minutes until the beans are tender. Season to taste. Finally add the fresh chives, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)