Recipe: Grilled Southwest Steak
- 1 pound beef round steak, cut 1-inch thick
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Trim fat from steak. Place steak in a plastic bag and set the bag into a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl stir together oil, lime juice, jalapeno peppers, shallots, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour over steak; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Drain steak, reserving marinade. Grill steak on an uncovered grill directly over medium coals to desired doneness, turning once. Allow 14 to 16 minutes for medium rare or 18 to 20 minutes for medium.
- Brush occasionally with marinade up to the last 5 minutes of grilling. Makes 4 servings.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)