Recipe: Sauteed Bananas with Praline Sauce
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 bananas, halved lengthwise, then crosswise
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- vanilla ice cream
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute half of bananas, cut sides down first, turning over once, until golden, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes total. Transfer with a slotted spatula to 2 dessert bowls. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and saute remaining bananas in same manner, transferring to 2 more bowls.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over moderate heat, then add brown sugar, cream, cardamom, and a pinch of salt and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Spoon sauce over bananas and ice cream.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)