Recipe: Steak and Chimichurri Toasts
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper .
- 2 (1-pound) pieces flank steak
- 1 (16-ounce) thin French-bread baguette, cut into 40 slices
- Additional olive oil
- Blend parsley, 3/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, oregano, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper in processor until smooth. Place meat in large glass baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush meat with 2 tablespoons chimichurri sauce. Cover steaks and remaining sauce separately and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place bread slices on large baking sheet. Brush with olive oil. Bake until just firm, about 5 minutes. Transfer to large platter.
- Preheat broiler. Transfer meat to rimmed baking sheet and broil until cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to cutting board. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut each steak along grain in half. Cut each half crosswise against grain into 10 slices. Top each bread slice with 1 piece of meat. Spread each with some chimichurri sauce; place on platter. Spoon remaining sauce into small bowl and place in center of platter. Serve warm or let stand up to 2 hours at room temperature.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)