Recipe: Steak with Spinach and Blue Cheese
- 1 (1-inch-thick) boneless beef top loin (strip) steak (1/2 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Blue cheese
- 5 ounces baby spinach (10 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pat steak dry and sprinkle all over with a scant 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Heat oil and butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook steak, turning once, until well browned, 7 to 10 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Add shallot to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add cream, blue cheese, and spinach and cook, scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet and turning spinach with tongs, until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Thinly slice steak and serve with spinach.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)