Recipe: Strawberry Shortcut Cake
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box strawberry cake mix
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3-ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
- Fresh strawberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Follow cake directions as written on cake mix box. Remove from oven and cool cake completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine strawberries, cognac and sugar. Let macerate 20 minutes. Invert and release cake onto a decorative platter.
- Whip cream with confectioners’ sugar and vanilla at medium-high speed until it reaches stiff peaks. Do not over whip. Mix gelatin as directed on box. Refrigerate gelatin mix but do not let it harden, it should cool to a liquid consistency.
- Using a straw, poke holes all over the cake. Pour gelatin into holes and spread over the top of the cake. Spread layer of macerated strawberries on top of cake. Spread layer of whipped cream on top of the strawberries, making pretty swirls and ripples. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)