Recipe: Bacon and Cabbage Soup
- 1 (1/3-pound) piece Canadian bacon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 small head Savoy cabbage, cored, thinly sliced, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- In small saucepan, combine bacon and cold water to cover. Cover, bring to boil over moderate heat, and skim foam from surface. Reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes. Drain and cool, then cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Set aside. In 6-quart heavy stock pot over moderate heat, melt butter. Add onion and saute, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and saute 2 minutes.
- Add stock, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat to moderately low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add cabbage and simmer 5 additional minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Working in 3 batches, in blender puree soup until smooth (using caution when blending hot liquids). Return to pot, stir in bacon, and rewarm if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: Breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)