Recipe: Carrot with Toasted Almond Soup
- 1 cup sliced shallots (about 4 large)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 small boiling potato
- 1 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Cook shallots, bay leaf, ginger, curry powder, and thyme in butter in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened and pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add potato to shallot mixture along with carrots, broth, cider, water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Puree soup in 2 batches in a blender until smooth, transferring as blended to a large bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to saucepan to reheat if necessary. Serve soup sprinkled with almonds.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)