Recipe: Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Sauce
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 (6 to 8 ounce) filet mignon steaks (each about 1 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
- 2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns in brine
- Boil stock in small saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about seven minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper. Cook steaks to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to plate (do not clean skillet).
- Add chopped shallots to same skillet and saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add reduced beef stock, 1 cup whipping cream, 3 tablespoons Cognac and green peppercorns. Boil until mixture thickens to sauce consistency, about 6 minutes. Season sauce to taste with pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)