Recipe: Houston’s Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- 2 bags (1 lb. each) fresh spinach
- 1/8 lb. butter – not margarine
- 1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 tbls. minced onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 pint heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 2 teas. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- artichoke hearts, coarsely diced
- Steam spinach – strain and squeeze through cheesecloth. Must be very dry. Chop finely and set aside. In heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic and onions and saute about 3-5 minutes. Add flour to make a roux. Stir and cook about 1 minute. Slowly add heavy cream, stirring with a whisk to prevent lumping. Mixture will thicken at the boiling point.
- When it thickens, add lemon jiuce, Tabasco, salt and Parmesan cheese. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Fold in dry, chopped spinach, coarse diced artichoke hearts and Jack cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted. Serve immediately, or portion and microwave to order. Serve with salsa, sour cream and tortilla chips for dipping.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)