Recipe: Primanti Brothers Sandwich
- 2 slices thick Italian bread
- 1/4 pound meat, sliced thin (ham, turkey, pastrami, corned beef, roast beef, leftover meatloaf, bologna – use your imagination)
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup cole slaw (recipe follows)
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 1 cup French fries, still warm
- 1 Head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, and onion in a bowl. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour. In a pot, dissolve the sugar into the vinegar and oil over low heat.
- Add in salt and pepper and cool. Wait until completely cool before pouring over cabbage mixture, chill in refrigerator for at least an hour. In a pan, over medium heat, add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add sliced meat and heat for about a minute. After flipping, add slices of provolone cheese and cover until melted.
- Place your meat and cheese slices on the first piece of Italian bread, then place one cup of fries on top of the meat. Pile on the cole slaw. Then add your sliced, fresh tomatoes. And finally, top it off with the other slice of Italian bread.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: Breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)