Recipe: Cajun Style Pasta
- 12 ounces linguine
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8−12 medium size shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound chicken breast meat, diced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all−purpose flour
- 2 cups of 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare the linguine according to package directions. Drain and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Melt the butter in the center of a large non−stick skillet over medium−high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and chicken. Pan−fry until the chicken is cooked through, 3−4 minutes. Whisk the flour, milk, sherry, and Parmesan cheese together. Pour into the skillet and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for about 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally. Add the cayenne and fold in the tomatoes and peas. Cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange the linguine on individual plates and spoon the sauce over the top. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)