Recipe: Almond Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups all−purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond essence
- blanched almonds for decoration
- beaten egg for glazing
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Cream the margarine (or butter) and sugar together until light, white and fluffy. Beat in the egg and almond essence. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients to make a stiff dough.
- Form the mixture into balls about 1 − 1.5 inch diameter and place these on a greased baking tray. Place half an almond (split lengthways) on each ball and press to flatten slightly. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 deg F / 180 deg C) for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. This quantity makes about 45 biscuits.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)