Recipe: Garlic and Sage Biscuits
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole−wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons regular margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup & 2 tablespoons of fat−free buttermilk
- Coat a baking sheet with non−stick spray and set aside. In a large bowl stir together the all−purpose flour, whole−wheat flour, sugar, sage, baking powder, baking soda, salt and garlic.
- Add the margarine or butter. Using a pastry blender cut the margarine or butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Add the buttermilk and stir to form a soft dough. Place the dough on a floured surface and gently knead to form a ball. Roll out the dough until it is about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into 12 round circles and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)