Recipe: Orange Beef
- 1/2 Lb. Top round steak
- 2 Tb Sherry
- 2 Tb Cornstarch
- 2 Egg whites
- 6 Tb Peanut oil
- SAUCE: 1 1/2 cups Beef stock
- 2 Tb Light soy sauce
- 1 Ts Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tb Cornstarch
- 1 Ts Red wine vinegar
- 5 Dried red chile peppers, broken into pieces
- 8 Thin slices of orange rind (orange part only) or more
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Whisk together the sherry, cornstarch, and egg whites until the mixture is foamy. Add the beef and toss to coat the pieces well. Set aside. Cut meat into 2×2−inch pieces. Heat 4 tbs. Peanut oil in wok.
- Fry quickly, just until crispy and browned, remove to wok rack to drain. Add remaining 2 tbs. Peanut oil to wok. Add orange rind and red peppers to hot oil in wok. Stir−fry until orange rind begins to darken and aroma from oil becomes pleasant. Add remaining ingredients and stir until bubbly (add more beef stock if too thick).
- Add fried beef and toss to coat with sauce. Serve at once with steamed white rice.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)