Recipe: Smoked Eggplant and Yogurt
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly salted water
- 1 1/2 cups plain regular or low−fat yogurt
- 1 small bunch green onions, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 piece charcoal
- 1 − 5×5 inch piece aluminum foil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or shortening
- In a pot over medium heat, add the eggplant and water; cook until tender and the water evaporates. Mash the eggplant so no large chunks remain.
- Allow to cool completely. In a large bowl, add the yogurt, mashed eggplant, green onions, cilantro, pepper and salt; mix well. To smoke the salad, heat the charcoal over open flame until gray and reddish in color. Place the piece of foil in the eggplant salad (make room in the center for the foil). Place the hot charcoal on the piece of foil in the bowl. Add the margarine on top of the charcoal and cover salad bowl immediately.
- Allow to smoke for 10 minutes; remove charcoal. Chill the salad in the refrigerator and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of paprika.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)