Recipe: Veal Stew
- 1 pound Veal − trimmed of all visible fat and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 1 cup baby carrots or 2−3 large carrots − cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 to 8 small onions − peeled
- 2 cloves of garlic − peeled
- 2 large boiling potatoes − peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 to 3 cups de−fatted chicken or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Pepper and Herbs − to taste (sage, rosemary, thyme)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- Heat a large, non−stick, pot on high. When hot, sear meat on all sides. Add herbs and seasoning and stir. Add stock and bring to the boil (the chicken stock will be more delicate and let the full flavor come through).
- Add vegetables and return to the boil. Cover and simmer on very low heat for 45 minutes to an hour or until meat is fork tender and vegetables are tender but not mushy. Turn heat to high and bring stew up to the boil, remove from heat and drizzle in corn starch mixture while stirring constantly.
- Return to heat and continue to stir until the stew has thickened. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)