Recipe: Creamy Chicken and Green Beans
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound green beans, cut in 1−inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vermouth
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, arrange chicken breasts; sprinkle with thyme and onion. Add water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken; cut into bite−size pieces.
- Preheat broiler. Spray a 2 1/2 quart baking pan with non−stick vegetable spray. Cook beans in boiling salted water for 8 minutes; drain, reserving 1/2 cup. Spread beans in prepared baking pan.
- In a large skillet, melt butter; add mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned. Stir in flour, mustard, salt, nutmeg, and white pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in half−and−half and reserved bean liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Fold in chicken and vermouth. Spoon over beans. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil, 6 inches from heat source, for 5 minutes or until sauce is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)