Recipe: Deviled Swiss Steak
- 3 pounds beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut round steak into serving size pieces. Combine dry mustard, salt and pepper; sprinkle over round steak and pound on both sides with meat mallet. Brown steak quickly in oil in large frying pan.
- Pour off drippings. Drain liquid from mushrooms and add enough water to make 1/2 cup. Add liquid and Worcestershire sauce to steak. Cover tightly and cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add mushrooms during last 5 minutes of cooking time. Remove steak to warm serving platter and top with mushrooms.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)