Recipe: Flank Steak with Peanut Sauce
- 3 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, no sugar added
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat broiler. Place steak on rack set in broiler pan. Brush top side with the 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Season with black pepper; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the red pepper, oil and garlic powder. Heat on medium for 1 minute. Add peanut butter, rice wine vinegar and the 1 teaspoon soy sauce with 1/2 cup water. Cook until smooth, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Keep sauce warm. Broil steak 3 inches from heat for about 7 minutes. Turn over, brushing with remaining soy sauce and seasoning with black pepper. Broil for 7 minutes more. More time will be needed if you want steak well done. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, slice thin across the grain. Serve sauce in a small bowl beside meat dish. Serve with peppered vegetables for a complete meal.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)