Recipe: Fresh Vegetable Pizza
- 2 (4−ounce) fresh pizza bread shells
- olive oil vegetable spray
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 1/2 cup grated part−skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, 3 ounces, thinly sliced
- 1 plum tomato, 3 ounces, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, 3 ounces, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place the pizza shells on a pizza stone or heavy non−stick cookie sheet. Lightly coat shells with cooking spray and sprinkle each shell with 1/8 teaspoon of the garlic powder. Sprinkle each shell with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange the mushroom slices around the outside of the shell. Cover the shell with squash slices and then, tomato slices and bell pepper. Top with fresh basil, the remaining garlic powder, the remaining mozzarella cheese, and the Parmesan cheese. Coat again with cooking spray. Bake for 12 −15 minutes until vegetables are cooked and cheeses have melted.
- Cut in half and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Italian