Recipe: Poached Chicken and Walnut Salad
- 2 whole chicken breasts (with skin on and bone in)
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 peppercorns
- chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- mixed greens: watercress, arugula, red leaf lettuce, radicchio
- Place chicken breasts in pan or skillet. Add celery, onion and peppercorns. Add enough broth to cover chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium−low.
- Cook until just tender, about 20 minutes. Cool chicken and remove skin. Pull chicken off bone in strips. In a saucepan, combine olive oil, vinegar and walnuts. Cook until somewhat thickened and liquid is reduced. Wash greens and tear into pieces.
- Place greens on four salad dishes, then arrange chicken on each plate of greens. Pour oil−vinegar mixture on top.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)