Recipe: Sugar Snap Salad
- 4 cups bibb (or butter) lettuce
- 4 cups sugar snap peas, string removed
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 7 teaspoons extra−virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped italian flat leaf parsley
- Wash and dry the lettuce and tear into bite−sized pieces. Make the vinaigrette by combining the shallots, vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil and set aside.
- Make an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and cold water and set that aside. In a large pot, blanch peas in boiling water for about 3 minutes, until peas are bright green and cooked but still crunchy. Immediately, drain the peas and plunge into the ice bath.
- Once the peas have cooled and stopped cooking remove them from the ice bath. Remove excess water from peas by blotting with a paper towel. Up to this point, the salad can be made a day in advance, refrigerated as separate components. Use the lettuce to line the bottom of a serving dish and add peas, basil, and parsley to another bowl.
- Add vinaigrette and toss. Put this mixture on top of the lettuce and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: hors d’oerves
Culinary tradition: USA (General)