Recipe: Belgian Waffles
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (slightly chilled)
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- grated nutmeg, optional
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they form soft peaks. Set aside in another bowl. In the same mixer bowl, cream the butter until fluffly and beat in the egg yolks −− one at a time.
- Add the flour and sour cream alternately, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla, salt and nutmeg, if desired. Fold in the egg whites.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Makes 3 very large belgian waffles. 7.3 carbs per full waffle.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)