Recipe: Vegetable Samosa
- 8 oz Potatoes, cut in even-size -pieces 3/4 c Frozen green peas
- 2 tb Corn oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 ts Cumin seeds
- 1 Piece ginger root, peeled, -grated (1/2″) 1/2 ts Turmeric
- 1/2 ts Garam Masala
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 2 ts Lemon juice
- 1 c All-purpose flour
- 2 tb Butter
- 2 tb Warm milk
- Vegetable oil for deep -frying Lime twists (opt) Fresh celery leaves (opt) Mango Chutney In a saucepan, boil potatoes in salted water 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain well, return to saucepan and shake over low heat a few moments or until dry. Mash well. Cook peas in boiling salted water 4 minutes. Drain well. Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion, cumin seeds, ginger, turmeric, Garam Masala and salt. Cook gently 5 minutes. Add mashed potatoes and peas, then stir in lemon juice.
- Mix well, remove from heat and cool. Sift flour into a bowl. Cut in butter finely until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add milk and mix to form a stiff dough. Divide in 6 equal pieces. Form each piece in a ball and roll each ball on a lightly floured surface to a 6″ circle. Cut each circle in half. Divide filling equally among semicircles of pastry.
- Dampen edges of pastry, then fold over and seal to form triangles which enclose filling completely. Half fill a deep-fat fryer or saucepan with oil. Heat oil to 375’F. (190’C.) or until a 1/2″ cube of day-old bread browns in 40 seconds.
- Fry samosa in hot oil, a few at a time, 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Garnish with lime twists and celery leaves, if desired, and serve hot with Mango Chutney.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)