Recipe: Walnut And Roquefort Salad
- 3 oz Walnut halves
- 2 tb To 3T white wine vinegar
- 1/2 ts Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 ts Salt
- 7 tb Olive oil
- 1 md Head romaine, cleaned, torn into large pieces
- 1/2 Head chicory, cleaned, torn into large pieces 1 Avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced lengthwise, dipped in lemon juice
- 1 Bunch scallions with tops, trimmed, chopped 4 oz Roquefort cheese, -crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- Toast walnuts in heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from skillet; cool and reserve.
- Mix vinegar, pepper and salt in small bowl. Add oil in thin, steady stream, whisking continuously until dressing is smooth and thoroughly mixed.
- Combine romaine, chicory, avocado, scallions, cheese and reserved walnuts in large salad bowl. Pour dressing over salad; toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: hors d’oerves
Culinary tradition: Thai