Recipe: Walnut Phyllo Rounds
- 1 lb Phyllo pastry
- 1 c Butter, melted
- FILLING 1 1/2 c Walnut pieces
- 1/2 c Pistachios or slivered -almonds 1/4 c Chopped candied orange peel
- 1/4 c Granulated sugar
- 1 tb Orange blossom water, or 1 -tsp almond extract 1/2 ts Each, ground cinnamon and cloves SYRUP 1 Lemon
- 2 c Granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c Wat
- FILLING; In food processor, combine walnuts, pistachios, candied peel, sugar, orange blossom water, cinnamon and cloves; process until finely chopped. Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface, covering remaining phyllo with damp tea towel to prevent drying out. Brush sheet with some of the butter.
- Top with another sheet of phyllo; brush with butter. Repeat with 2 more sheet of phyllo and butter. Sprinkle with about 1/3 cup of the nut mixture. Top with 3 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter; sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the nut mixture. Repeat with 3 more sheets, then nuts to make a total of 9 sheets of phyllo.
- Brush the long edges of dough with butter. Starting at long side, tightly roll up jelly-roll fashion. Brush all over with butter; trim edges. Cut into 3/4 inch thick slices; place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling to make second roll. Bake in 350 oven for 18 to 20 minuts or until crisp and golden, turning over halfway through.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets. Remove to racks set on baking sheets. SYRUP: Meanwhile, using vegetable peeler, peel lemon into thick strips. In saucepan, combie sugar, water and lemon rind; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until syrupy; strain. Spoon half of the hot syrup over phyllo rounds; let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon remaining syrup over top; let cool completely.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)