Recipe: Wholemeal Red And Yellow Pepper Quiche With Pansies
- PASTRY: 2 c Whole wheat flour;8 oz,225g
- 1 pn -Salt
- 1/2 c Margarine, sunflower; cubed
- 4 oz, 100g 1/2 c -Ice water; 4 fl oz, 125 ml
- Butter; for greasing 1 pn Flour
- FILLING: 1/2 c Butter; or margarine
- 2 oz, 50 g 1 tb Sunflower oil
- 2 ea Onions; thinly sliced
- 1/2 ea Red pepper;seeded & thinly -sliced 1/2 ea Yellow pepper; seeded & thin -sliced 3 tb Pansies, purple;
- 2 lg Eggs; or 3 small
- 1/2 c Cheddar or Gruyere cheese -shredded, 2 oz 50 g 1 1/4 c Milk; 1/2 pint 275 ml
- Sea salt & black pepper – The Latin name for pansies is Viola x wittrockiana, only use in amount specified “This colourful starter makes a great supper or lunch dish served with new green peas or a leafy salad. Its bright colours make it appealing to both adults and children and it easy to make.”
- First make the flan case; sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and tip in the bran remaining in the sieve. Chop the margarine into the flour with a knife, then gently rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Lift your fingers above the bowl as you rub to keep the mixture light or aerated (Anne’s note: I would use a food processor). Add the iced water and mix with a knife until you have a firm dough. Lift out the dough, wrap in cling film (Saran) and chill in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350F/180 C/gas 4. On a lightly floured marble or wooden surface, roll out the dough thinly into a circle large enough to line a 8-0/20-24 cm flan dish. Grease the dish and line it with the dough. Set aside.
- To make the filling, heat the butter and oil in a shallow pan, put in the onions and peppers and sweat (cook) gently until the vegetables are soft but not coloured. Add the pansies. Whisk the eggs and stir in the grated cheese and milk. Season to taste. Pour the onion and pepper mixture into the egg mixture and stir well. Pour into the prepared flan case. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes., rising the heat a little if necessary, until the filling is nicely puffed up and the pastry is beginning to brown. Serve hot or cold.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: snack
Culinary tradition: USA (General)