Recipe: Christmas Eggnog (from England)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 8 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy or whipping cream 6 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup brandy or more (optional)
- 1 qt. vanilla ice cream
- freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks until smooth. Add 6 tbsp. of the sugar, the cream, 6 cups of the milk, and (if you’re using it) the brandy and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour, until chilled.
- Before serving, in a small bowl beat the egg whites until frothy. Then add the remaining 2 tbsp. sugar and 1/2 cup milk and stir just until blended.
- Remove the egg yolk mixture from the refrigerator. Add the egg white mixture and stir just until blended. Add the ice cream. It’s your choice whether to leave the ice cream in one large block or to break it up into individual scoops. Sprinkle nutmeg on top (if desired) and serve, using a ladle to fill individual mugs. The ice cream will gradually melt in the mugs, adding a delectable consistency and underlying smooth flavor. You, your family, and friends will never settle for commercial eggnog again.
Number of servings (yield): 10
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: English