Recipe: Cherry-Apple Turnovers
- 1 1/4 cups frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 medium Rome apple peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 Dash ground nutmeg
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo pastry thawed
- Butter-flavored vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds toasted
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cherries and apple. Pulse 4 times or until finely chopped; spoon into a bowl.
- Add sugar, almond extract, and nutmeg; stir well, and let stand 15 minutes. Press through a sieve, reserving 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons juice.
- Set aside. Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, cut each sheet lengthwise into 4 (3-1/2-inch-wide) strips; lightly coat each strip with cooking spray. Stack 2 strips, one on top of the other.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon cherry-apple mixture onto one end of each stack; fold the left bottom corner over mixture, forming a triangle. Keep folding back and forth into a triangle to the end. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place the triangles, seam side down, on a baking sheet; lightly spray tops with cooking spray. Bake at 400 deg for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Combine reserved cherry-apple juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)