Recipe: Rich, Simple Turkey Gravy or Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Giblets (liver discard ed) neck and tail from one turkey, cut into 1 -inch pieces
- One medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Reserved turkey roasting pan with d rippings
- One cup of a dry, white -wine OR a dry vermouth OR water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or 6 tablespoons flour
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium -high heat. Add giblets if using, neck tail, and onion; sauté until giblets lose their raw color and onion softens, about five minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tu rkey pats release their liquid, about 20 minutes.
- Add one -quart water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer, partly covered, to mak e a flavorful broth. Strain, then return broth to pan.
- You should have about three cups. If you wish, you can refrigerate gra vy over night. Skim the fat from broth. Set reserved turkey roasting pan with its drippings over two burners on medium -high heat.
- Add the wine, vermouth, or water); cook, loosening pan drippings with a wooden spoon, until mixture boils.
- Strain drippings into the broth in the Dutch oven, pressing on vegetables to release their flavor.
- Bring broth mixture to simmer; mix cornstarch or flour with ½ -cup water and stir into simmering broth.
- Continue to simmer until lightly thic kened. Serve with turkey.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)