Recipe: Turnip Soup With Green Peas (Hh)
- 6 sm Turnips (12 oz), peeled,
- -diced 2 tb Butter
- 4 c Chicken consomme (HOMEMADE)
- pn Sugar 1/2 ts Salt, if desired
- 1/8 ts Black pepper, freshly ground
- 10 oz Pk frozen peas, thawed OR
- 2 c Shelled fresh young peas,
- -blanced 1/2 c Croutons, to garnish
- Peel and dice turnips. Melt the butter (or use olive oil) in a large skillet; add turnips, cover and cook over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes, or until they begin to color–changing from white to a light yellow. Set them aside. Bring the consomme to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Add the turnips and a pinch of sugar. Simmer, skimming if necessary, until the turnips are cooked and soft when piered with a fork, about 10 to 15 minutes. If the peas are frozen, pour boiling hot water over them and let stand for 3 minutes. Drain. If the peas are fresh, blanch in boiling water until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain.
- Place the peas and croutons in a warmed soup tureen and cover with the hot turnip soup. Serve immediately in heated individual soup bowls.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)