Recipe: Baked Walleye with Carrots
- 1 1/2 pounds walleye fillets, skin removed
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 3 1/2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup milk
- Heat oven to 450F. Spray a 13 x 9−inch baking dish with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Arrange fillets, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish. Set aside. In medium bowl, combine carrots, melted margarine, juice, thyme and salt.
- Spread mixture evenly over fillets. Cover with foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until fish is firm and opaque and just begins to flake.
- Drain liquid from fish into a 2−cup measure. Cover fish with foil to keep warm. Set aside.
- Add water to liquid in cup to equal 1 1/3 cups. In a 1−quart saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons margarine over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Blend in cooking liquid mixture and milk. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture thickens and bubbles, stirring constantly.
- Pour sauce evenly over fish and serve over hot rice or linguine.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)