Recipe: Fried Rocky Mountain Oysters
- 2 pounds bull or sheep testicles
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup red wine
- Salt black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Louisiana Hot Sauce
- Pure hog lard or vegetable oil
- With a very sharp knife, split the tough skin−like muscle that surrounds each “oyster.”
- Remove the skin. Set “oysters” into a pan with enough salt water to cover them for one hour (this takes out some of the blood). Drain. Transfer “oysters” to large pot.
- Add enough water to float “oysters” and a generous tablespoon of vinegar. Parboil, drain and rinse. Let cool and slice each “oyster” into 1/4 inch thick ovals.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of sliced “oyster” to taste. Mix flour, cornmeal and some garlic powder to taste in a bowl. Roll each “oyster” slice into this dry mixture. Dip into milk. Dip into dry mixture. Dip into wine quicky (you may repeat the procedure if a thicker crust is desired).
- Place each “oyster” into hot lard or oil. Add Louisiana Hot Sauce to lard or oil (go wild with it, buy watch out for hot splashes).
- Cook until golden brown or tender, and remove with a wire mesh strainer (the longer they cook, the tougher they get).
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)