Recipe: Smoked Eggplant and Yogurt
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup lightly salted water
- 1 1/2 cups plain regular or low−fat yogurt
- 1 small bunch green onions, diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 piece charcoal
- 1 − 5×5 inch piece aluminum foil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or shortening
- In a pot over medium heat, add the eggplant and water; cook until tender and the water evaporates.
- Mash the eggplant so no large chunks remain. Allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add the yogurt, mashed eggplant, green onions, cilantro, pepper and salt; mix well.
- To smoke the salad, heat the charcoal over open flame until gray and reddish in color.
- Place the piece of foil in the eggplant salad (make room in the center for the foil).
- Place the hot charcoal on the piece of foil in the bowl.
- Add the margarine on top of the charcoal and cover salad bowl immediately. Allow to smoke for 10 minutes; remove charcoal.
- Chill the salad in the refrigerator and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of paprika.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)