Recipe: Tumbleweed, Pinto Bean, And Wild Rice Salad
- 3/4 c Dried pinto beans
- 1 1/2 c Tumbleweed greens or curly
- endive, or fennel tops 1 1/2 c Cooked wild rice
- 3/4 c Sunflower oil
- 3 tb Herb flavored red wine
- vinegar 2 tb Chopped fresh chives
- 2 sm Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 ts Black pepper
- 1/8 ts Salt
- Chive blossoms for garnish Soak the beans overnight in water to cover. In the morning, drain the beans, rinse them under cold running water, and place them in a saucepan with fresh water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer several hours until the beans are soft and the skins begin to split. Add water when necessary to keep the beans from drying, and stir occasionally to prevent them from burning and sticking.
- Remove from the heat, drain, and allow to cool. In a bowl, toss together the greens, beans and rice. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes. In a blender, combine the oil, vinegar, chives, garlic, pepper, and salt. Blend at high speed until the chives and garlic are finely pureed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and garnish with chive blossoms.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)