Recipe: Venison Bigos
- 1/2 pound venison, cubed
- 1/2 pound lean pork, cubed
- 1/2 pound venison sausage, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 can beef broth, (10 1/2 oz)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans sauerkraut, (32 oz total)
- In a Dutch oven, fry the bacon until crisp, then remove and drain, leaving grease in pan.
- Saute onion and mushrooms in drippings until softened, then remove and drain them. Pour off all but 1/4 cup of drippings. Brown the meats.
- Add the bacon, onions, mushrooms, and remaining ingredients, except sauerkraut. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add drained sauerkraut and simmer 20 more minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)