Recipe: Bombay Monkfish
- 1 pound monkfish
- skinned Milk to cover 1/4 pound shrimp
- shelled 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- chopped 1 pinch of saffron or tumeric
- 3/4 cup light cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Put the monkfish in a pan just large enough to hold it.
- Pour the milk over and place the pan over moderate heat. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Turn the fish and cook 7 minutes longer, or until the fish is cooked through. When the monkfish is nearly done, add the shrimp and cook 2−3 minutes, or until they turn pink.
- Drain fish and shrimp, discarding milk. Cut the monkfish into bite−size pieces. Beat the eggs with the tomato paste, curry powder, lemon juice, rosemary, saffron and 1/2 cup cream.
- Mix in the fish and shrimp and season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn into 4 individual ramekin dishes and pour an equal amount of the remaining cream over the top of each dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until set. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon and a crusty french type bread.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Indian (Marathi Cuisine)