Recipe: Cajun Crappie
- 4 Crappie fillets about 10″ long
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 3 ounces cognac
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Ground or fresh thyme
- Ground or fresh basil
- Ground or fresh parsley
- Combine the thyme, basil, parsley, cayenne pepper, garlic and paprika and sprinkle over fish in a shallow bowl. Melt 1 tbls.
- butter in a skillet and add fish, cooking until soft but not hard. Cook for 2 minutes per side. The idea is to not dry out the fish.
- After the fish have been cooked on both sides, remove fish and add brown sugar to pan. Then add remaining butter and return the fish to the pan once the sugar is melted.
- This will glaze the fish and finish cooking them. Remove fish to serving plate and deglaze skillet with cognac immediately, adding heavy cream once cognac is boiling.
- Reduce by 25 percent. Combine a small portion of liquid with corn starch and add to sauce. Allow sauce to boil for about one minute. Pour sauce on top of fish and garnish with fresh parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)