Recipe: Italian Roast Pheasant
- 2 fresh pheasants
- 5 slices pancetta or bacon
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Wash and dry the pheasants, removing any lumps of fat from the cavity. Make the dressing by chopping the bacon, herbs and garlic.
- Mix well. Spoon the dressing into the cavity and truss the birds. Season with salt and pepper. Place the birds on their sides on a rack and bake at 350 degrees, turning every 15 minutes.
- The breast should remain down to keep it from drying out. After 30 minutes add the wine and continue roasting and turning the birds for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat to 450 and brown the skin. Cook the pheasant for 5 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm. Cut the birds in half. Place the halves, cut side down, in a large frying pan, with any stuffing that falls out and the pan juices.
- Add the butter, and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or till traces of pink are gone. Add the brandy and flame them.
- Serve at once spooning the pan juices and stuffing on top. Wild rice makes a fine accompaniment
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Italian