Recipe: Lobster Newburg
- 2 cups fresh or canned lobster meat or
- 2 medium−small fresh lobster tails
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon MSG
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sherry
- If you use lobster tails, cook as follows: Bring water to boil in a large kettle. Add 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt.
- When water is boiling vigorously, add lobster tails and continue cooking for 20 minutes. Lobster shells will be pink. Allow lobster to cool in liquid in which they were cooked.
- When cool, shell and cut lobster meat into pieces. Sauté lobster meat in butter which has been melted in a large skillet. Use medium heat and do not brown. Cook gently so lobster meat is not broken into fine pieces. Blend cornstarch and seasonings. Blend into butter and lobster.
- Add milk and cream, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Just before serving, add eggs, then slowly add sherry.
- Be sure lobster mixture is not at the boiling point when eggs and sherry are added or mixture will curdle.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)