Recipe: Medieval Sweet and Sour Fish
- 2 pounds carp or other fish fillet
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup currants
- Pinch of mace
- 1/4 cup raisins
- salt to taste
- Cut fillets into large chunks and dredge them in flour.
- Heat oil in a large heavy frypan and saute onion until transparent.
- Add fish chunks and brown.
- In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients for a sauce.
- Pour over browned fish and onions.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)