Recipe: Scalloped Oysters
- 2 cups coarsely crushed soda crackers
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup cream
- Nutmeg or mace
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and have ready 1 quart of oysters in their liquor.
- Place a thin layer of the crumb mixture in the bottom of a buttered casserole. Cover with half the oysters.
- Pour over oysters a layer of HALF of the following mixture: 1 cup cream Nutmeg or mace Salt and pepper.
- Follow with three−quarters of the remaining crumbs and the remaining oysters.
- Pour other half of seasoned cream over oysters.
- Cover with remaining bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)