Recipe: Shrimp Newburg With Green Rice Ring
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of red pepper
- 5 tablespoons Madeira wine, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds peeled, cooked shrimp
Green Rice Ring
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs, separated
- Melt butter in top of double boiler. Stir in flour and cook several minutes. Gradually add milk and stir until smooth and thick.
- Add seasonings and 4 tablespoons of the wine. Beat together cream and egg yolks. Gradually add cream to wine sauce.
- Cook over boiling water for 15 minutes. Add shrimp and remaining 1 tablespoon wine. Pour Shrimp Newburg into center and around green rice ring and garnish with parsley.
Green Rice Ring Instructions :
- Combine rice, scallion, parsley, butter and slightly beaten egg yolks. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour mixture into buttered 1 1/2−quart ring mold and bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Unmold onto a hot platter.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)