Recipe: Shrimp Patties
- 3 cups water
- 1 pound unpeeled medium−size fresh shrimp
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all−purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Beau Monde® seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Italian−seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Bring water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 3 to 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain well; rinse with cold water. Peel and devein shrimp; chop and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk to saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in scallions and next 7 ingredients.
- Combine shrimp, egg and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs; stir in sauce mixture. Shape into 4 patties; dredge patties in remaining breadcrumbs. Pour oil to depth of 1/2 inch into a large, heavy skillet.
- Fry patties in hot oil over medium−high heat until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Vietnamese