Recipe: Tropical Shrimp Paella
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced 1/4−inch
- 1/2 pound linguica or smoked sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red pepper, diced 1/4−inch
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, diced 1/2−inch
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 mango, diced 1/2−inch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 papaya, diced 1/2−inch
- 1 cup Arborio or paella rice
- 1 starfruit, sliced 1/4−inch
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 pounds 16/20 count prawns
- Slice the linguica or smoked sausage or chorizo into 1/4−inch rounds, then quarter the sausage.
- Marinate the prawns in olive oil which has been infused with saffron. Season with kosher salt and crushed red pepper.
- In addition, other seafood may be added such as clams and mussels. Cook the onion in half the olive oil until translucent over medium−high heat. Add the thyme, turmeric, salt and rice.
- Stir well. Add the stock, stir once and set on low heat for about 20 minutes, or until just al dente. In large sauce pan, warm the garlic in the remaining olive oil and add the diced red pepper.
- Add the fruit, sausage and prawns and sauté for one minute. Add the rum and cook for another minute to burn off the alcohol. Add the cooked rice. Toss all together carefully until thoroughly incorporated. Moisten with a little more stock if necessary.
- Mound the paella in a bowl or on a plate. Garnish the paella with two spears of pineapple, some sliced chives and sliced starfruit if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)