Recipe: Vietnamese Sandwiches
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 1 − 16″ long baguette
- 4 teaspoons low−fat mayonnaise
- 3/4 pound cooked chicken breast or pork
- tenderloin, sliced 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon five−spice powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- With chef’s knife, mash garlic and salt into a paste. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add vinegar and sugar, stirring to dissolve.
- Add carrots, onions and chilies. Toss to coat. Set aside. Slice baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece horizontally.
- Spread cut sides with mayonnaise. Arrange the meat on the 4 bottom halves. sprinkle with lime juice and 5−spice powder.
- Top with the carrot salad and a shower of cilantro leaves. Cover with bread tops and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 1
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Vietnamese