Recipe: Brown Sugar Fudge
- 1 cup of light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Combine the brown and granulated sugars, milk, and the cream in a 2-quart saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a rolling boil stirring constantly until candy thermometer reaches 236°F or until a small amount dropped into a glass of cool water forms a soft ball (or for about 8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add the butter stirring until melted. Let the mixture set unstirred until the temperature is 110°F or just until cool enough that it wont burn you if touched.
- Add the vanilla and stir vigorously for 5 to 10 minutes until mixture cools enough to lose it’s glossy texture. Fold in the nuts and spread into a buttered pan and to allow to cool.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)