Recipe: Cherry Cake
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup all -purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 cups fresh black s weet cherries, pitted; or
- drained, canned, pitted Bing cherries; or frozen
- sweet cherries, thawed and drained
- confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the batter in a blender, combine the milk, eggs, flour, sugar and vanil la in the blender jar, and whirl them at high speed for a few seconds.
- Turn the machine off and scrape down the sides of the jar with a rubber spatula, then blend again for about 40 seconds. To make the batter by hand, stir the flour and eggs together in a large mixing bowl, and slowly stir in the milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Beat with a whisk or a rotary or electric beater until the flour lumps disappear and the batter is smooth. Pat the cherries completely dry with paper towels, then spread them e venly in a shallow, buttered baking dish or pan that holds 5 to 6 cups and is about 2″ deep. Pour in the batter.
- Bake on the mi ddle shelf of the oven for 1 -1/2 hours, or until the top is golden brown and firm to the touch. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar, and serve while it is still warm.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: German