Recipe: Pumpkin Soufflé
- Soufflé Base
- 3 cups milk 6 ounces sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk 7 egg yolks
- 2 ounces sugar 3 ounces flour
- 6 ounces pumpkin puree 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 t easpoon allspice 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 10 ounces egg whites 2 ounces sugar
- Bring the first 3 ingredients to a simmer.
- Combine the next 4 items together and temper them into simmering mixture.
- While stirring, allow to boil for about 1 minute to cook out the flour flavor.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pumpkin and spices.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. The base can be made up to 3 days in advance of using.
- Hold the egg whites and sugar separately till ready to bake.
- When r eady to bake, butter soufflé dishes thoroughly and coat with sugar.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Whip egg whites to soft peak, add sugar and continue whipping to firm, moist peaks.
- Fold egg whites into soufflé base and pour into prepared dishes.
- Bake till set, about 15 minutes, and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: French